Once again, we will be filling School Kits and Baby Care Kits in September. The School Kits give children in impoverished schools, refugee camps, or other difficult settings some of the basic tools for learning. The Baby Care Kits will be distributed in extreme poverty areas or following a natural disaster. These kits help young mothers care for their newborn babies.
When you see summer sales and back-to-school sales, please think about the very important items needed for these kits. And if you have time in the summer for craft projects, there are patterns on this site for nightgowns, sweaters, etc. We already have 9 school bags sewn by Evelyn Cochran, 10 blankets crafted by Barb Reid and Barb Antoniewicz, and 10 sweaters knitted by Barb A . Thank you, Ladies, for sharing your talents.
If you don’t have time to shop, nor were given the gift of knitting, crocheting, or sewing, you may make a monetary donation for yarn or other supplies and someone else will shop for you. Please write a check to BRC and note on the memo line “CWS Kits”. You may also place a cash donation in a mission envelope and mark the envelope with “CWS Kits”.
Items must be new and under 12 months in size.
- Six cloth diapers
- Two T-shirts or undershirts (no onesies)
- Two washcloths
- Two gowns or sleepers
- Two diaper pins
- One sweater or sweatshirt (Can be knit or crocheted)
- Receiving blanket
- One pair of blunt metal
scissors (rounded tip)
- Three 70-count spiral notebooks or notebooks totaling 200-210 pages (no loose-leaf or filler paper)
- One 12” ruler
- One small pencil sharpener
- One large eraser
- Six new pencils with erasers
- One box of 24 crayons
- One 12″ x 14″ to 14″ x 17″ finished size cotton or lightweight canvas bag with cloth handles. (Please, no reusable shopping bags or backpacks.)
Please bring items to Cook Hall and leave them on the brown table at the foot of the stairs. Kits will be assembled in September. Thank you!